Monday, February 13, 2012

(Lots of) Plans for this Week

I hope everyone had a great weekend while I was trekking across half the Midwest in the snow for Ohio indie pop.  Maybe you've been making some progress on lining up internet dates or training for Tuesday's outpouring of hatred toward everyone in love--I know I've dropped the ball on both this year.  Luckily, there are a ton of reasons to get my sad, lonely ass out of the house this week, many of which can double as ideas for your desperation Craigslist date.

Tonight at the Empty Bottle:
Unicycle Loves You
Lightfoils
The Grooks

Another really decent free Monday from The Empty Bottle.  I haven't seen the first two bands before, but Unicycle Loves You are consistently fun.  It's hard to argue with the price.  Add in the $2 PBR special and you have a very low overhead on the mistakes you're planning to make.

There's another free show at the Empty Bottle on Tuesday, which I already mentioned.  Actually, you may just want to grab a sleeping bag and move in to the Empty Bottle.

Wednesday for $8, you can go back to the Empty Bottle yet again for:
Bleached
The Black Belles
Hollows

I've only seen Hollows before (and they're really good!), but terms like "fun" and "energetic" have popped up in enough descriptions of the other two bands to get me curious.  A cursory listen definitely has me wanting to hear more of Bleached.  Worth checking out if you like girl groups and punk aesthetics.

There's more sunny pop music at the Empty Bottle on Thursday, in the form of Veronica Falls, Brilliant Colors, and The Halamays, also $8.

If you want to shake up your venue choices (or you're suspicious the bar staff has started to recognize you there 3 days in a row with 3 different dates), head to Subterranean on Thursday.  The lineup is:
Panda Riot
Nerves Junior
Tiny Fireflies
The Pear Traps

I've seen Panda Riot and Tiny Fireflies before and I've been meaning to catch Nerves Junior.  This show is pretty much your best bet for indie pop in Chicago this month, or at least the one I'm most excited about.

Friday, if you've not yet died of exhaustion, there are still more things happening.

Switching into punk mode for a moment, there's a show at the Moving Castle that looks great: Waxahatchee, the new project from Katie from P.S. Eliot.  Dowsing open, and they are a fantastic local pop band with some emo (good emo) leanings.  Between them is The Ovens, who I know nothing about, but have decided I like anyway.  Visit diychi.org for details.

Finally, Saki has brought back Predictive Gaming for Substandard Films, an event I'd like to see really take off.  I'll do a proper writeup later, but I attended the inaugural run in the fall and it was probably one of the best dates I went on last year.

Oh, also, Sharon Van Etten is playing at Lincoln Hall on Thursday and Friday.  But you probably already knew that.

And I have no idea what to do on Saturday.  I think I'll sleep for 14 hours then go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment